HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

Does God want us to prosper?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Does God want us to prosper?   Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:06 am

This is a common theme with likes of Joel Olsteen and such. How do you feel about his position that God wants the very best for us and that includes good jobs, good homes, nice things.

Personally I think this message may be harder to spread as we go through tough economic times but if God is for us, who can be against us.

I have some opinions on this which I'll share once the discussion starts up and I read what you guys post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Does God want us to prosper?   Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:40 pm

God wants good things for us, naturally. However I don't think that all of our concepts of prosperity, such as the American Dream, line up with his desires. Jesus gave us examples, even as a servant. I think many people want to be on top, and to live it up, having the best things in life. I don't think this is the sort of blessings we are supposed to receive. Maybe giving our time and energy to the poor, the people we look down to, the kind that we are glad we aren't... maybe that is the reward we should be seeking.
rabbit

maflynn
Hieromonk

PostSubject: Re: Does God want us to prosper?   Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:20 am

I'm going to do some hair splitting with your response:)

Quote :
God wants good things for us, naturally. However I don't think that all of our concepts of prosperity, such as the American Dream, line up with his desires.
I believe the first and foremost desire on God's heart, well the second, accepting him is the first I suppose Smile Is that we imitate Christ's example and become Christ like. So yes that seems to fly in the face with the American concept of prosperity and blessings. We can take it one step further and state any blessings from God will be done so that we are transformed into his likeness and not conformed into the pattern of the world. Jesus also stated in MT 6:24

24 "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.

Quote :
Jesus gave us examples, even as a servant. I think many people want to be on top
I agree completely and I can probably say I've fallen into this trap from time to time,so I'll not be harsh on anyone has but it is sad that some pastors use their position contrary to what Jesus did.

Quote :
I don't think this is the sort of blessings we are supposed to receive.
I disagree, and I may splitting the hairs here. The bible does show that God has blessed people financially, he's also blessed others through history. Individuals who in turn then used those funds to further the kingdom of God. I believe this is the exception not the rule however. I just would not go out on a limb and say we shouldn't have it but by the same token its not something we should be striving for.

Quote :
Maybe giving our time and energy to the poor, the people we look down to, the kind that we are glad we aren't... maybe that is the reward we should be seeking.
Jesus said exactly this in
MT 6:19-20
19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

My position is pretty clear based on my response.
If we look back at the early church we see the giants of Christianity like the Apostle Peter, Paul, James and John. Did any of them get rich because of their faith and righteousness? No and in fact the Apostle Paul had a thorn in the flesh that God refused to remove. The early Christians not only were in fear of losing their lives(which many did) but they frequently lost their livelihood quite the opposite of what Joel Olsteen's been preaching.

If we look around at our Christian brothers in other nations, particularly in less developed or affluent parts of the world. We do not see them gaining power and riches as well.

While like many people in this day and age, I struggle to makes end meet, I need to learn to be content. Striving after riches and falling into the trap of consumerism is counter to what God wants for us. If he chooses to bless me with a fat bank account so be it, but then I need use that money to further his kingdom not buy new cars for myself. The odds are not in my favor of this happening though and to be honest I'm not sure I want that type of responsibility.
Back to top Go down
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Does God want us to prosper?   Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:12 pm

I don't think God is too concerned about our situations in this life, as evidenced by so many innocents suffering. I'm not trying to say God is some evil entity, but He has other things to do than worry about all the details.

To me, this kind of question is really more of a self examination. I think the question could be stated another way... Is it wrong to prosper in the face of such incredible inequity in the world? Is it OK to afford an iPhone, a new computer, a new car, when other people are starving and suffering from the multiple effects of poverty?

Well, we can beat ourselves up, feel guilty, blah, blah, or just accept that life is not always fair. I don't think God blesses some and curses others, but more likely takes a "let's just watch and see what happens" approach.

And humans are designed to take care of ourselves and our offspring before others. It's a basic survival instinct. And if we spend a large hunk of our time worrying about the suffering of people we don't know, we might go raving mad. Yet some gifted people can do exactly thats.

A vow of poverty is not a blessing to God, especially if the result is just laziness. Who is to be admired more, a millionaire rock star like Bono who gives a lot of his time and money (that he has worked hard for) to the causes of eliminating poverty, or a religious zealot who prays all day, but does nothing for his fellow man?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maflynn
Hieromonk

PostSubject: Re: Does God want us to prosper?   Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:58 am

design219 wrote:
I don't think God is too concerned about our situations in this life, as evidenced by so many innocents suffering. I'm not trying to say God is some evil entity, but He has other things to do than worry about all the details.

Sure he does the Bible is very explicit in its detailing of God's love and compassion towards a sinful and wayward humanity. As for innocents suffering the vast majority of that suffering is at the hand of Man, we have inflicted all sorts of evil on our fellow man (and woman). Yes there's natural disasters, and famines but even in that case why should we ask God to bail us out when we do very little to help those people in the first place.

God's ultimate act of love was coming down here as a man, he lived a sinless life. Was killed for our sins and resurrected.

Can I explain all of the suffering in the world, no, but that in no way negates God's love.
Back to top Go down
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Does God want us to prosper?   Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:15 am

maflynn wrote:
Can I explain all of the suffering in the world, no, but that in no way negates God's love.

God may love man, but you are right: nothing can explain how an entity that is all mighty can allow a small child to die a slow, agonizing death all alone under rubble from an earthquake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ScriptureZealot
Novice

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Does God want us to prosper?   Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:12 pm

We know what God wants us to seek.

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you.
Matthew 6:33 HCSB

So if you have been raised with the Messiah, seek what is above, where the Messiah is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on what is above, not on what is on the earth.
Colossians 3:1-2 HCSB

If he blesses us with material wealth then we should certainly be thankful. And be content with what we have.

I don't say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content--whether well-fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:11-13 HCSB
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scripturezealot.com
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Does God want us to prosper?   Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:16 pm

It's comforting to see that not everyone is out for themselves. Smile

rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: Does God want us to prosper?   Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:25 pm

i tend towards the opinion that there is a difference between prosperity and comfort...

God wants us to prosper... in the sense that he wants us to succeed at life and what he calls us to...
now comfort is another deal. I dont think we're all promised comfort nor do I think we're given it..

that said, if the lord blesses you with material comfort then as long as you're giving generously then you should feel no problem spending your money on yourself.

i think the Lord does bless us with material stuff when we prove that we can be good stewards (now I dont think this is a rule, I just see it happen generally.) If we're willing to give away what he gives to us then he's more willing to give to us...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does God want us to prosper?   

Back to top Go down

Does God want us to prosper?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1