HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

the words of a preacher are the word of God

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: the words of a preacher are the word of God   Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Quote :
Ephesians 2:17 says: He (speaking of Christ) came and preached peace to you who were far away and peace to those who were near. This is written to the Ephesians but Christ never went to Ephesus, which is in modern Turkey. So in what sense did Christ come and preach peace to the Ephesians? It means that when those first Christian preachers went to Ephesus and preached the word of Christ to the Ephesians Christ Himself was preaching to them in the preaching.

2 Corinthians 5:20 says: We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God.

I started my first class on preaching today. My prof used these two scriptures to talk about how when we preach there is a certain sense that we are speaking the very word of God.

a student in my class asked, "If we ask 10 preachers to preach on Hebrews 6 we'll have 10 different interpretations, how can we argue they are all the word of God?"

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: the words of a preacher are the word of God   Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:58 pm

anyone... anyone?

::cricket... cricket::
Back to top Go down
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: the words of a preacher are the word of God   Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Yes, I believe a preacher full of the Holy spirit is preaching God's word. Of course those words have to align themselves with scripture. They cannot conflict with scripture and its upon us to search the scripture to see if the words are true.

The bereans were praised because they did exactly that.

Quote :

Acts 17:11
11 Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: the words of a preacher are the word of God   Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:29 pm

I thought I had replied to this, but I can't for the life of me remember what I replied. Or figure out why it didn't post, hmm.

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: the words of a preacher are the word of God   Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:20 pm

the whole idea scares me... i'll admit
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: the words of a preacher are the word of God   Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:05 pm

I never did remember what I originally typed. However here's my basic understanding of things. We are like ambassadors or diplomats for God and his kingdom. How we speak and act is representative of our kingdom, and in many cases we speak directly on behalf of our kingdom. As human beings though we are prone to be either excellent, bad, or forgettable ambassadors for our kingdom. So when we preach, proclaim, or otherwise witness to the good news of Christ we are speaking on behalf of God and his kingdom. Now you could go past that and go into the whole spiritual side of things, but I think that covers things sufficiently for myself.

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: the words of a preacher are the word of God   Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:53 am

nathan...
so you're saying we speak on behalf of the kingdom... not so much "the words of God"... is that correct? Interesting thought.
I suppose an ambassadors words are still pretty important and can cause or avoid war... hmm scratch
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: the words of a preacher are the word of God   Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Well...

It all depends really. How do you view speaking in tongues? Is that speaking the words of God or the Holy Spirit? How we speak can be a representation of what we believe to be true. If we are truly representing God, then we could be speaking truth, and thus speaking the words of God as truth.

You could choose to take it on a purely spiritual level and say that the words of a spiritual shepherd and a prophet, etc. are all the words of God. I suppose it all depends on the nature of the words spoken. If they are from one's own mind, then you are speaking your own words, but if on the behalf of another, you are representing them. If the words spoken are inspired by God, then you are being used as a vessel of sorts to speak directly on the behalf of another in both a spiritual and physical sense.

I think Paul demonstrates this when he indicates which parts of his writings are inspired and which are his human opinions. I don't think that the majority of pastors today take enough care to make these sorts of distinctions and so it is really hard to apply it in today's religious settings.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the words of a preacher are the word of God   

Back to top Go down

the words of a preacher are the word of God
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1