HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

Deep spiritual question - Santa Claus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Deep spiritual question - Santa Claus   Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:01 pm

Here's a question for you guys, provided any of you are parents. Of course non-parents can chime in as well.

Did you teach your children about santa claus? My friends who are Christian run the gamut. Some did, some didn't. Nearly 100% of my friends who are not Christians did teach them about santa but then Christmas means something totally different to them.

I'm curious to hear your reasons why you did, or why you didn't.

Also if you did teach them about santa, did you follow suit with the Easter bunny and/or tooth fairy?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Deep spiritual question - Santa Claus   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:12 pm

my parents never told me there was a santa claus.... apparently i never asked because they determined early on that if asked they would tell us honestly that there wasn't, but not bring it up.

that way we could believe our kid-like dreams, but my parents never lied to me... i'll probably do something similar

View user profile http://www.theologer.com
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Deep spiritual question - Santa Claus   Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:52 pm

My plan is let my daughter be familiar with Santa and all the traditions. However I'm not going to lie to her, but present it as tradition.

maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Deep spiritual question - Santa Claus   Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:18 am

I've been lurking in a couple of other Christian forums - does that constitute infidelity? tongue
and I came across this thread
Santa thread

Its a long and a tad old but still relevant. Like any long thread there seems to be a bit of hijacking and such but overall it gives some pretty good insight into what a lot of Christians seem to do with regard to satan claus err umm santa claus Very Happy

Some people in the thread teach the kids about santa
Most responses were along the lines that lying is sin and so they've danced around the whole issue in some way such as telling them about the historical St. Nicolas, or avoiding the whole situation.

Here's my question what's the difference in santa and other fictional characters like Mickey Mouse. We talk up Mickey to our kids like he's real and granted he doesn't come into our house and leave presents the concept isn't that much different.

I'm a big believer and fostering the kids imagination and fantasy life, I realize there must be a balance and I'm not necessarily struggling with this but rather curious

On a completely different note, as I said I've been lurking around in other Christian sites. Some seem kind of wacky others very fundamental. I think I found a couple that seems to have a good balance - apart from this place of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: Deep spiritual question - Santa Claus   Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 pm

- its only considered infidelity if you dont advertise this forum while you're there...

that said... can you give us some links?? I couldn't find any worth visiting and thats why I created this....

View user profile http://www.theologer.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deep spiritual question - Santa Claus   

Back to top Go down

Deep spiritual question - Santa Claus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1