HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

Should We Go Libertarian?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Martin
Novice

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Should We Go Libertarian?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:58 pm

Should Christians who believe in limited government and a humble foreign policy move to the Libertarian Party? At this point I am still a McCain supporter, however each day that passes finds me more and more unwilling to support yet another Republican. I have been Libertarian in my politics for some time, I was even a big Ron Paul supporter. The fact that McCain would be more conservative than Obama or Clinton pushed me into his camp. I don't believe McCain has a chance in the fall, even if he did I am no longer sure I want to vote for him.

View user profile http://martin008.blogspot.com/
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Should We Go Libertarian?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:52 pm

I think in this day and age, voting on a third party candidate is akin to throwing your vote away. I'm not a huge political junkie. I follow politics somewhat lightly but if memory serves me correctly the prior libertarian candidates usually seemed to be wackos or at the very least people who you'd not seriously consider a viable person as president.

I'm not keen on either candidate, Obama or McCain. Obama's rise to power so quickly rubs me the wrong way. I'm not sure what it is, but I just don't trust the guy. McCain is a democrat in republican clothing.

I hail from the great bastion of liberalism (Massachusetts) so it matters not who I vote for, the state will vote for the democrat candidate
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
Martin
Novice

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Should We Go Libertarian?   Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:17 pm

maflynn wrote:
I think in this day and age, voting on a third party candidate is akin to throwing your vote away.

==I generally don't agree. Personally I believe both major parties are corrupt. So, in my opinion, voting for either one of them would be voting for corruption. I am voting third party in '08 because neither party represents me or my view of government.

View user profile http://martin008.blogspot.com/
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Should We Go Libertarian?   Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:48 pm

in answer to your question... NO.

then...

Martin wrote:
I don't believe McCain has a chance in the fall, even if he did I am no longer sure I want to vote for him.

as to this, they're saying that obama did some stupid stuff back in the day, even attend and help some anti-american parades and such... the radio talked with shock that no one had released a video showing him doing this yet...

i have a friend who believes McCain has such video and will wait till right before the election to release them. and then win... we'll see

View user profile http://www.theologer.com
mschellman
Postulant

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: The Post Political Christian   Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:07 am

I do not believe the church, as a body, can give an endorsement of any political party without becoming complicit in its sin. Therefore the question "who should Christians vote for" is a non-starter. Rather we should each prayerfully ask, who should I vote for. As we near the end of the dominance of the religious right as an opinion leader in the evangelical community, and just as we are beginning to see the dawn of a new religous left - we must pause to ask if we are not simply being carried along by the tide of worldly power struggles. I suggest that we adopt a post-political strategy that makes use of what James Suroweicki calls the Wisdom of Crowds. If believers are prayerful about their decision and vote according to the spirits guiding - I do not believe we need a coalition to tell us who to vote for. The role of religious leaders then, would be to encourage political involvement, and to strengthen the believers overall commitment to Jesus Christ in all matters of life public and private.

Nova/Now did a piece describing the underlying concept.

If the mean is roughly equal to an expert opinion - then the mean of a believing body of voters prayerfully following the guidance of the Holy Spirit has the best chance of approximating what God wants. Or at least better than the alternatives which are fraught with human bias and socio-economic biases.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mschellman.blogspot.com
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Should We Go Libertarian?   Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:35 am

i agree with you that aligning as a group - or as a religion will inevitably lead to sin in a power-struggle type dealio...

for me a big part of the issue with the whole democrat/rep deal is just that i cant get past abortion.
we need to do everything in our power to slow it down - to stop it - to help solve the issue. One party has given up on it, but one party is still all about making it more and more available...

all other issues aside, murder is a big issue for me.

makes it tough for me to pick anyone else...

but i agree with you in concept..

View user profile http://www.theologer.com
mschellman
Postulant

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Should We Go Libertarian?   Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:59 pm

The great thing about what what I'm saying is that you don't have to get past the abortion issue. If this remains the most significant thing for you every election cycle - you MUST vote your convictions. You play a significant part in the overal Christian politic. Others exist who are equally committed to fight poverty and other issues, then there are those who's opinions are in flux. As the national circumstances change, these peoples opinions shift and the Christian body as a whole reprioritizes its commitments. I believe this is natural and ought to happen. When it does, it does not represent the Church's abandonment of its former priorities but simply addressing the pressing issues at hand. Feeding a baby and answering the phone are both important. One is more important than the other, but you don't refuse to answer the phone because its less important, and sometimes you answer the phone first.

By the way, the democratic party would not have given up on the abortion issue, had so many pro-life conservative democrats abandoned the party to vote for Ronald Reagan. The "blue dogs" played a role in that party and may have kept it a viable option for Christians. Eventually had enough pro-life Christians entered the party they could have retaken the platform. Since they abandoned the party we have effectively put all of our hope in the Republican Party - making them in effect, our political saviors. Like all false messiahs, they have let us down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://mschellman.blogspot.com
reapiabi
Postulant

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: General   Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:13 am

When will General chain a hung gown? Will another privileged leader farm opposite an outcome? An inclusive wife rocks General inside the governor. The refund monkeys the springing microcomputer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.africanwomen.tk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should We Go Libertarian?   

Back to top Go down

Should We Go Libertarian?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1