HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

2012 - the apocalypse

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: 2012 - the apocalypse   Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:09 am

USA today article

just heard about this... does the mayan calendar ending in 2012 mean anything to you?

View user profile http://www.theologer.com
Martin
Novice

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - the apocalypse   Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:56 pm

"does the mayan calendar ending in 2012 mean anything to you?"

No Wink

View user profile http://martin008.blogspot.com/
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - the apocalypse   Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:37 am

I had this nice long response and for some reason, I got logged out in between composing the post and trying to hit send - lost it all.

So now, I don't have the heart to retype it so this one will be shorter.

That date is based on the Mayan calendar that ends in December 21 2012. They did not believe that time was linear but repeated itself. I think each segments were called a haab and these repeated themselves in their long count calendar. Each Haab had a prophesy associated with it and there's been people who now look back and show how accurate they were. These prophesies are typically obtuse and you really need to do some back bends to make them fit. Unlike Biblical prophesy which is precise and is 100% accurate.

The calendar ends in December 21 2012 because of a celestial alignment that will occur on that date. I think its that all the planets will line up in such a way with the galaxy or stars. The Mayans were absolutely obsessed with time, they had three calendars and were able to track many of the planet's paths and timing to such an accurate degree that we only were able to do so in the modern time.

Am I worried about the date, not really, I don't think the world will end then. Only the God the Father knows the exact date. I do believe we are in the end times (as mentioned in my other thread) There's too many passages in Bible that describe the time of the Messiah's second coming to ignore. We are definitely getting close but will it be in 2012 - who knows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - the apocalypse   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:17 pm

i just remember as a kid seeing a guy holding a sign that said "the end of the world, jesus is coming back august 18th, 1988" and I posed a question something like "daddy, doesn't the bible say no one knows when it will come?"

and thinking that if I, as a child thought it was dumb, then this guy should think himself dumb too...
but that said...
there are lots of things out there that while I disagree with, or HUGELY doubt, I still find fascinating.
for example...

i just think this calendar thing sounds interesting... but that said.. i'd be much more willing to accept the end of the world coinciding with the 08' olympic games opening ceremony... but call me crazy... (because it would be)

View user profile http://www.theologer.com
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - the apocalypse   Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 pm

Regardless of the source, whether its a Mayan calendar, or a person pulled out a date because of some weird way he read scripture. The end result is the same. Disappointment, God tells us not worry about the specific date for a reason. Jesus didn't even know the date when he was with us. If God incarnate didn't know what makes you think we'll be able to figure it out. We were told to know the season, that is if we're getting close but not the date.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
ebuddy
Postulant

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - the apocalypse   Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:44 pm

rogermugs wrote:

there are lots of things out there that while I disagree with, or HUGELY doubt, I still find fascinating.
for example...

i just think this calendar thing sounds interesting... but that said.. i'd be much more willing to accept the end of the world coinciding with the 08' olympic games opening ceremony... but call me crazy... (because it would be)

I must admit, I'm fascinated by end times prophecy, the Mayan calendar, aliens, etc...

With regard to the aliens though, could someone please use a quality piece of gear to record the event, EVER?!? Why is it always hopelessly grainy and... black and white?!? Who even has something that records in black and white anymore?!? I mean, at this point it is a find if you can get it in black and white. Okay, night vision. Wink

I say fakes, fakes, and more fakes and they're getting worse at it. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012 - the apocalypse   

Back to top Go down

2012 - the apocalypse
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1