HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

Are we in the end times?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Are we in the end times?   Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Since the time of the Apostle Paul every Christian generation thought there's were the last and that the Lord could be coming in their respective lives so why should our generation be any different. But it is different then prior generations. There are so many prophesies being fulfilled right before our very eyes. for instance, Biblical scholars and theologians struggled with the references to Israel in the book of Revelation yet in the 20th century we saw it come to be. Likewise many other passages.

For the sake of brevity I'll only mention one Bible passage - MT 24:7-8
Quote :
7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

While there's been warfare in the world since man fell into sin, I think we can safely say the last 20 years have shown an alarming increase in conflicts. Every continent is touched by war, and many countries are involved in some sort of conflict.

Famines likewise have been around for millennia. The last 20 to 40 years most of the famines have been localized to the African continent. That seems to be changing as we are starting to witness food shortages, such as rice around the world. Climates are changing which is causing widespread failures. the cost of oil has made basic staple foods like rice and flour more expensive. Farmers in the US are focusing on corn instead of other crops because of bio-fuel and they can make a larger profit. All of this is playing a part in a worldwide food shortage.

Earthquakes - I saw a few weeks ago the Hal Lindsey report and Hal had done a segment on earthquakes. Here's a blurb from the show (I added the emphasis) Its disturbing to see the numbers in front of you.

Quote :

Back in 1969, the year I wrote "The Late, Great Planet Earth," the USGS identified a total of seven "significant earthquakes." I had noted in 1969 that there was a slight but discernible increase in worldwide earthquake activity since Israel's rebirth in 1948.
During the entire decade of the 1970s, the USGS recorded a total of 44 earthquakes it classified as "significant." The following decade, from January 1980 to December 1989, the USGS recorded 47 significant earthquakes. That is for the entire decade. From 1990 through the end of 1999, the USGS records 57 significant earthquakes. From 2000 thru to Monday's earthquake in Sichuan, China, the USGS recorded an astonishing 109 earthquakes of at least magnitude 7.0 and 13 earthquakes measuring between 8.0 and 9.9 on the Richter Scale.

So as entered into the 21 century we saw a huge uptick in earthquakes, wars and now famine. Additionally a new single European monetary system, the Euro, is poised replace the US dollar. There are many other signs but for me what is so telling is Matt. 8 "the beginning of birth pains." Like birth pains, they started out slowly and were not severe. Now the frequency and severity has increased dramatically.

So do you agree/disagree or have any thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Are we in the end times?   Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:42 pm

I don't think the last 20 years have been worse for war. Think about WW1, WW2, vietnam, the Civil War, the Revolutionary war... and that is only in the US. There have been many, many wars over the last 2000 years that have been much worse than what's going on now. Today, we are more sensitive because of 24-7 news coverage.

I don't buy the earthquake thing either. We've only been really good at monitoring world-wide earthquakes for a few decades. One of the biggest earthquakes in modern history was at the beginning of the 19th century along the Mississippi River(causing it to flow backward for three days) and there were so few people around that it was not a huge deal. Nobody could expect the number of earthquakes to remain constant year to year, there will be up years and down.

The same with famines, they are in the news, because the news is everywhere. There have always been great famines, but fortunately today we have the communication, world-wide cooperation and technologies to help alleviate them. And farming techniques are so far superior to what they were 100 years ago, we get at least 10x the amount of food from one acre as we did a century ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Are we in the end times?   Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:19 am

I disagree The USGS statistics is that they are "significant" one. You don't need highly precise modern measuring devices to see that you're experencing a significant earthquake. Regardless you cannot ignore the huge increase between the 1990s and the 2000s Regardless of the measurements and statistics of the 80s and 70s. The measuring equipment did not markedly change between 1999 and 2000.

As for the wars, yes we had some rather large wars at the beginning of the 20th century, no way to argue that Smile

Now however we are experiencing more and more regional wars and isn't that what Jesus is saying, "nation will rise up against nation" You cannot deny the fact that there are multiple nations rising up against each other all over the world, more so now.

World hunger is increasing, recently being propelled because oil, choices in planting and of course weather patterns changing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Are we in the end times?   Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:14 am

We're not in the end times. Well, the odds of being in the end times aren't any better or worse than they were before we were born. study

design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Are we in the end times?   Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:00 pm

Nathan wrote:
We're not in the end times. Well, the odds of being in the end times aren't any better or worse than they were before we were born. study

Agreed that we are not in the end times, but when someone mentions odds, I have to be stickler.

If you are talking about some unknown point in the future, with every second that passes the odds are better that you are getting there. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tc
Immoderator

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: Are we in the end times?   Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:23 pm

The End Times began with the coming of the Spirit on Pentecost (Acts 2:17).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://newleaven.com
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: Are we in the end times?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:27 pm

while I dont disagree with TC on this

tc wrote:

i think its a bit simplistic to boil it down to that...

I remember as a child attending a conference where the guy preached basically about his certainty that the Lord would come back in my generation. I thought it odd....

there is a constant tug of war for me in choosing between:
1. living like the Lord REALLY might come back tomorrow

2. living like people thought that even 2000 years ago...

and that plays out in me constantly wondering if we'll all live long enough to see my grandchildren,
and being absolutely sure that I'll someday be an old man with lots of little ones...
who knows. its a struggle I think the Lord wanted us to have to sort through... (and perhaps never answeR)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
ebuddy
Postulant

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Are we in the end times?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:12 pm

rogermugs wrote:
while I dont disagree with TC on this

tc wrote:

i think its a bit simplistic to boil it down to that...
I don't know. It's a really profound place to start.

Quote :
I remember as a child attending a conference where the guy preached basically about his certainty that the Lord would come back in my generation. I thought it odd....
... as well you should have IMO. Even if it turns out to be true. The certainty is probably what rubbed you the wrong way and you were an insightful kid. Smile

Quote :
there is a constant tug of war for me in choosing between:
1. living like the Lord REALLY might come back tomorrow
2. living like people thought that even 2000 years ago...
So true, so true!

Quote :
and that plays out in me constantly wondering if we'll all live long enough to see my grandchildren,
and being absolutely sure that I'll someday be an old man with lots of little ones...
who knows. its a struggle I think the Lord wanted us to have to sort through... (and perhaps never answeR)
Huge questions. Personally, I try to keep it painfully stupid because at times I'm pretty thick. Just keep growing and seeking. You already appear as though you're getting enough to drink to sustain others. Spiritually of course. Wink Just keep growing and seeking and thanking every step of the way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are we in the end times?   

Back to top Go down

Are we in the end times?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1