HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

Intelligent criticism of Calvinism?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ScriptureZealot
Novice

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-06-04

PostSubject: Intelligent criticism of Calvinism?   Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:31 pm

I am reformed/Calvinist (is there a difference?) of some sort but have only been for about a year so I'm still solidifying that and learning about the finer points and what I agree or disagree with.

I was "raised" as a Christian with an Arminianist point of view among all the evangelicals I knew. I didn't really look into Scripture, it just sounded good and was what everybody was saying even though I didn't know what Arminanism was.

I always like to hear the other side of things for my education but all the criticisms of Calvinism I've read have either been from people who misrepresent Calvinism and don't really know what it is or argue from the point of view of--if God is this then He must be that, trying to fit God into our own logic in black and white, ying/yang type perspectives.

I don't want to start any kind of debate here please! I would just like to be pointed to any articles out there from an intelligent point of view. Thanks.
Jeff

Sorry, that post was too long.

P.S.S. This is what I like about this forum--being able to ask questions like these.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scripturezealot.com
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent criticism of Calvinism?   Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:51 am

I recently spent an hour chatting with TC about Calvinism and it was quite instructive. Like you I was raised with an Arminian perspective which I still hold to. However, I'll probably pick up a few books to read on the subject because I'd like to read some arguments for both sides.

chuckgrantham
Novice

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent criticism of Calvinism?   Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:07 pm

I put my little starter list up on my blog here:

http://goulablogger.wordpress.com/2008/06/08/arminianism-and-calvinism-books-a-starter-list/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Troy Crider
Postulant

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent criticism of Calvinism?   Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:31 pm

You might want to check out Grace Unlimited e.d. by Clark Pinnock. I have heard good things about this book from both Arminians/Open Theists & Calvinists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent criticism of Calvinism?   

Back to top Go down

Intelligent criticism of Calvinism?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1