HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

Missions and money.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Missions and money.   Sat May 10, 2008 10:38 am

I'm curious about the age old question of missions and money. What do ya'll think?

People who raise money are more sustainable personally but often the locals will wonder how these people live and will stumble about joining the ministry because they think it means free loads of money.

People who go into foreign countries and work have a more transferrable idea of ministry but its often hard to get much ministry done when they're working full time and have the stress of a foreign culture/language.

People who live in a poverty mentality will often just trust in the Lord to get them by with just enough and seem to get by, but are often so poor they don't have a "cloak to offer their naked neighbor" etc...

Which do you most agree with?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Missions and money.   Sat May 10, 2008 1:26 pm

I have a ton of opinions about this. I don't see #2 and #3 working that well unless the target field is in a developed nation. Option #1 seems the most tried and true, has the most accountability, and is the only one I've seen work well personally. I believe the other options could work, but there are a lot of things that have to fall into place, especially when it comes to society/culture of both the sending nation and the target nation. If God is controlling things then anything can work, however I've seen people go route #2 or #3 when it appeared to be their own ideas and not something God had orchestrated.

(that's the short answer)

rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: Missions and money.   Sun May 11, 2008 5:29 pm

Nathan wrote:
I have a ton of opinions about this. I don't see #2 and #3 working that well unless the target field is in a developed nation. Option #1 seems the most tried and true, has the most accountability, and is the only one I've seen work well personally. I believe the other options could work, but there are a lot of things that have to fall into place, especially when it comes to society/culture of both the sending nation and the target nation. If God is controlling things then anything can work, however I've seen people go route #2 or #3 when it appeared to be their own ideas and not something God had orchestrated.

(that's the short answer)

I'm shocked how much the Lord seems to bless people who do all 3. especially #3 simply because it seems like the lazy way. being personally bothered about asking for money, or being embarrassed about money seems like the only things which lead to this.. hmm..
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
Ethan Johnson
Postulant

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Missions and money.   Tue May 27, 2008 10:02 pm

The church has been called by our savior and lord to be missional. She's more herself when she is. I wish more local churches can truly become mission minded. That's one of the things I like about LBU. It trains a lot of missionaries and encourages a lot of mission work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Missions and money.   

Back to top Go down

Missions and money.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1