HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

emergent church...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: emergent church...   Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:52 pm

any of ya'll consider yourself emergent or with such tendencies?

i understand a lot of their plight and think their issues are probably legitimate problems with the church, but would like to see the church address them, rather than split offs... although, many of the split-offs coming from the movement may be more like what a "church" should be...

whuddyouthink?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: emergent church...   Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:49 pm

My take on this is that's just a Christian marketing term that means nothing at all.

From how I've heard is used is that its a new non-denominational church that supposedly has none of the baggage associated with a given denomination. So in theory it can be more successful in reaching people. So far I've seen these emergent churches fair no better and no worse then any other church Plant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: emergent church...   Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:41 am

I had been wondering about the whole movement all winter and finally read a book on it, cleverly titled Emerging Churches. In it I read many things in black and white that solidified concepts and ideas in my head, that for years I just couldn't quite articulate. So according to your post I would say I have emergent tendencies, but in reality I think it just shows the generational differences present in today's church. I don't attend an emergent church and probably never will. However, there are definitely some changes happening at our little Baptist church. In the fall we are cutting back Sunday night service to once a month and going to try to replace it with smaller group/family type meetings of some sort. Oh, and after reading that book, my main problem with the emergent movement as a whole is the lack of oversight or accountability structures of some sort. I'm still a fan of the basic ideas, those that involve relating the good news to today's culture.

rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: emergent church...   Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Nathan wrote:
So according to your post I would say I have emergent tendencies, but in reality I think it just shows the generational differences present in today's church.

thats a really great way to boil it down... the interesting thing is that I think one of the roles of the church is to accommodate all generations... thats means our generation has to suck it up and take care of those older and younger than us, as well as the youngin's have to get down on making the change they want to see... if they grow up in churches with no older folks around because of their "generational needs," they'll grow up warped and confused (seriously).

not to mention they'll miss a few "when I was your age" stories
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: emergent church...   Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:55 pm

I agree that the lack of accountability can be an issue but by the same token older denominations can have too much oversight or out of touch policies that fail to address the needs, and concerns of current society. Either way we need to be vigilant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: emergent church...   

Back to top Go down

emergent church...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1