HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

10 commandments - should we follow them?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: 10 commandments - should we follow them?   Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:26 am

Interesting thought, should we follow the 10 commandments as Christians? Are we bound to them just as Israel is? We all desire not to murder, commit adultery, or worship idols etc. I suppose that means we try to follow them right.

What about #4

Keep the Sabbath day Holy.
Exodus 20:8-11
8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy

My pastor spoke on this specific commandment last week and it opened my eyes. I can safely say I break this commandment every week. Is this different then not following the other rituals or festivals that Israel was instructed to keep.

Jesus also said that came not to abolish the law but fulfill it and Matt 18 says "I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished."

I'm pretty sure not everything has been accomplished yet and heaven and earth have yet to disappear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: 10 commandments - should we follow them?   Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:40 am

I thought that Christ's one rule sort of set a new tone that superseded the pervious rules.

You know, the "Do unto other as you would have them do unto you" bit.

But you know, for rules penned over 2,000 years ago, they are pretty darn good. Even if you are not religious, setting aside one day to relax sounds like a good idea to me. That said, I would never want to see a set of religious rules enforced as governmental rules in this country.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: 10 commandments - should we follow them?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:22 pm

one year I took a serious sabbath rest... but living in america it's soooo hard... I think largely because going to church is just NOT restful.
I have a lot of friends in full time ministry who take monday off and never leave the house etc...

but when i had a serious sabbath rest, i wouldn't leave the house, and it was one of the most productive years of ministry of my life... also, restful...

think we are supposed to follow them... while I dont think it means we cant walk to church, or go for a jog, i do think it means we need to keep a day we keep holy to the Lord somehow... I'd say fast from a computer or something of the sort...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: 10 commandments - should we follow them?   Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:46 pm

I think a sabbath rest is called for, particularly for those in the ministry. I attended one church for a while and it seemed that the pastor took a sabbatical every summer. He didn't just lounge around, he went to school, workshops etc. I'm sure there was a rest part as well.

At the church I'm now attending, and most likely will be joining we sent the pastor off on sabbatical for a couple of months. It was part of his 25 year anniversary, and he worked hard for it. I've only been there a little over a year and I can see the hard work that he puts into the ministry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10 commandments - should we follow them?   

Back to top Go down

10 commandments - should we follow them?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1