HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Wed May 28, 2008 10:30 pm

What do you all think it is?

One thing that bothers me is that we are supposed to be pure in heaven. Like, not married to our spouses anymore, but on perfect terms with everyone. Wouldn't that mean we lose our personalities?

My grandfather was a lifelong pastor and my grandmother a deeply religious woman. But like many people of her generation, she had a bit of a racial bias that was strongly ingrained. If she is in heaven, does she not think like that anymore? If not, it's like her personality is not her anymore.

Any what will people in heaven do all day? Jobs? Play all day? Meditate?

Belief's, questions and speculations please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Thu May 29, 2008 7:37 am

design219 wrote:

One thing that bothers me is that we are supposed to be pure in heaven. Like, not married to our spouses anymore, but on perfect terms with everyone. Wouldn't that mean we lose our personalities?

My grandfather was a lifelong pastor and my grandmother a deeply religious woman. But like many people of her generation, she had a bit of a racial bias that was strongly ingrained. If she is in heaven, does she not think like that anymore? If not, it's like her personality is not her anymore.

What is heaven, well the easy answer is that its God's home and it will be the home of Christians.

As for your grandmother, we have a sin nature, that is a proclivity to sin, like steal, lie, or have racial bias. When we go to heaven we will have a new nature so to answer one of your questions. Your grandmother will not harbor any of those ideals. Think of it this way, do you think the thief on the cross with Jesus who is now in Paradise (Luke 23:39 - 43) is going to steal?

39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: "Aren't you the Christ? Save yourself and us!"
40 But the other criminal rebuked him. "Don't you fear God," he said, "since you are under the same sentence?
41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong."
42 Then he said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[f]"
43 Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

As for what we do in heaven, well we worship and sing praises to God. That is why were created to worship and have fellowship with him. Admittedly its difficult to fathom what eternity is. Consider this simile, Its like one fish trying to describe what dry land is to another fish. Neither one of them has been there. We only have the Bible and even then we're looking through sinful eyes that are constrained by the temporeal universe
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Thu May 29, 2008 7:52 am

I hope there are lots of books to read, plenty of fishing to do, and a never ending barbecue. Hmm, there are probably a few other things, but that would hold me over for a good bit.

rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Thu May 29, 2008 1:12 pm

i think its going to mirror earth quite a bit. after-all God's initial intention with this creation was a paradise... and vocation existed before the fall... see the quote by nancy pearcy

i think there will be sports, and TV, and iphones, and wine, and hopefully we can fly... but we dont know much except there wont be pain or death.

i imagine it will be like eternally being able to sit around and smoke a pipe and drink beer and watch superbowls..

also there will be HUGE snow castles and we'll get to have some serious snowball fights...

I've heard there's some good books out there on this subject because so few people understand heaven. tons of christians dont even look forward to it because they think it will be boring as dirt as we sit around in white and play harps all day...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Thu May 29, 2008 3:06 pm

How about sex?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Thu May 29, 2008 4:20 pm

I am using my real name around here so 'no comment.' Roger?

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Thu May 29, 2008 7:46 pm

design219 wrote:
How about sex?

HA!
i imagine probably not like you'd think... again we're given new bodies and everything.. i imagine there is something like it, an absurdly good feeling from an act of love... who knows what it would look like tho.

but this is just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Thu May 29, 2008 7:51 pm

design219 wrote:
How about sex?
Is that an offer - I hardly know you

Laughing

Well on a serious note,
here's what Matthew 22:29-30 says
29Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

So Jesus states that there will be no marriage or married people in Heaven and since God forbids sex outside of the marriage it seems pretty clear to me that there will be no sex in heaven.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Thu May 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Nathan wrote:
I am using my real name around here so 'no comment.' Roger?

First rule of theology forum... No real names.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Martin
Novice

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Fri May 30, 2008 3:05 pm

design219 wrote:

==Not at all. Marriage is an institution for this life and will not carry over into eternity. Our personality will remain the same, yet it will be totally sanctified (perfect, like Christ).

design219 wrote:

==She will no longer hold those type of beliefs. Its not that her personality has "changed", rather it is that she now no longer holds to sinful beliefs/attitudes. Her personality is only better.

design219 wrote:

==Serve God (Rev 22:3, etc). Ie...WORK!! Laughing

View user profile http://martin008.blogspot.com/
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Fri May 30, 2008 5:49 pm

design219 wrote:

One thing that bothers me is that we are supposed to be pure in heaven. Like, not married to our spouses anymore, but on perfect terms with everyone.

yea, the whole not being married thing sorta bums me out... i like being married to my wife... but i suppose best friends is still possible...
whatever the situation, I'm sure its better than we can fathom.

i imagine its because we're not lonely anymore, like adam was and why the Lord created marriage.
but, we'll see wont we?
Back to top Go down
tc
Immoderator

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Fri May 30, 2008 6:20 pm

design219 wrote:

I personally don't believe heaven is our final frontier. We'll be returning to a redeemed and renewed earth (Rom 8; 2 Pet 3; Rev 21-22).

On my blog I gave NT Wright's take on Heaven, if you interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://newleaven.com
design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Fri May 30, 2008 8:52 pm

tc wrote:
On my blog I gave NT Wright's take on Heaven, if you interested.

'Heaven, in the Bible, is not future destiny but the other, hidden, dimension of our ordinary life-God's dimension—NT Wright"

Wow, that is interesting! I'm afraid I'm not familiar with NT Wright.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebuddy
Postulant

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:30 am

There are several passages in Scripture that would lead one to believe that we (some of us) will rule and reign with God. For example; 2 Timothy 2:11-13; It is a faithful saying: For if we be dead with him, we shall also live with him: If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us: If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

I've always fancied myself in charge and creative control of one of those billions of planets out there.

One other point, many of us are lamenting the loss of our desires here on earth; i.e. sex, fishing, marriage, etc..., but it may not matter. Heaven could be a place where dimensions are more "blurry". We may taste sound, feel colors, smell sight. "Living waters" may literally sing songs of hope and love to us. A "babbling brook" may literally babble. Not unlike giving a young boy a rubber ball. He is at first fascinated by it and entertained by it for some time 'til you hand him a slinky. What happens? He immediately drops the ball and plays with the slinky until...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:27 am

ebuddy wrote:

I've always fancied myself in charge and creative control of one of those billions of planets out there.

i dont know about that....
i've never understood that to apply to current creation, or other planet to be populated or whatever... that seems odd... almost a mormon understanding...
Back to top Go down
ebuddy
Postulant

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:44 am

rogermugs wrote:
i dont know about that....
That's just it rogermugs, we don't know for sure. I can understand your concern though, if God were to tell me that that's not how heaven works, I'd gladly shine the shoes of His saints.

Quote :
i've never understood that to apply to current creation, or other planet to be populated or whatever... that seems odd... almost a mormon understanding...
Scriptural ambiguity can and often does lead to speculation and imagination beit Mormon, Catholic, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Baptist, etc...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?   

Back to top Go down

What, for goodness sake, is Heaven?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1