HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Sun May 18, 2008 4:56 pm

...or Muslim, or Buddhist, or Jew, or atheist, or whatever?

If you are a Christian, you will probably say "Because I've accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior and believe Him to be the living son of God who died for the redemption of man" ... or something along those lines.

But is the real root answer because you were born into a Christian family or at some point formed a close association with Christian people who influenced you to believe as they do? A child born at the exact same time as you on the other side of the world may has a very different belief system from yours solely by luck of their birth place.

Can anyone dispute this? Is their a better reason why some people are Christian, or Muslim, or whatever?

With respect, but think about it. I used Christianity as an example because I'm not as familiar with other faiths.

Last edited by design219 on Mon May 19, 2008 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Sun May 18, 2008 5:26 pm

I have pondered this question for hours, thanks for bringing it up!

I was raised in a Christian home. During my early twenties I rejected my beliefs, but have since returned to a majority of them. I'll give it some more thought and try to come back with a coherent answer.

rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Sun May 18, 2008 10:50 pm

I was raised in a christian home and before jr high if you asked me what i believed i could probably even tell you pretty clearly about christianity. BUT... i became a christian for myself (owning my own faith or whatever, not just because my parents did it) in jr high while going through one of the toughest times in my life.

i loved overseas and was the one of VERY few americans at a school nearly 97% local rich kids...

i was beat up almost every day emotionally and even punched relatively frequently. I went home every night and cried my eyes out because life was miserable.

now i picked up a bible for comfort certainly because that was all I knew (I would likely have turned to a koran or whatever if I had been taught that), but I genuinely think the only reason I was able to sort through this stuff and find comfort in the bible was that it is the word of the one true God.

I think a personal relationship with a real God is the only reason I became and stayed a christian. Had the Lord not pulled through for me in that time I imagine I would not be a christian today.

I've stayed a christian because I've seen so many lives change for the better and seen such superhuman acts of love from christians that I have to credit it to the Lord. (I've also seen my fare share of bonehead christians doing dumb things in the name of the Lord, but sin is sin is sin)....

anyhoo.. thats my reasoning. Christ is the personal God, the personal savior. and thats why I am a christian, because he came through for me as a friend in a time of need and continues to do so everyday.

View user profile http://www.theologer.com
design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Mon May 19, 2008 8:09 am

rogermugs wrote:
i picked up a bible for comfort certainly because that was all I knew (I would likely have turned to a koran or whatever if I had been taught that),

You've hit my point right there. I'm sure that people of other faiths have very similar stories, and would express the same conviction about their God being the "one true" god.

I guess, since this is a Christian theology forum (am I making a limiting assumption here?), I'd like to hear from those with more knowledge than me how the division in faiths is dealt with from a Biblical perspective. I don't recall verses discussing why some geographical locations have differing beliefs in other gods.

The mission of Christianity is to spread, and that has been very successful in some parts of the world and a complete failure in others. If Christianity is the ONE TRUE RELIGION, then why is it not universal?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Mon May 19, 2008 12:26 pm

design219 wrote:
rogermugs wrote:
i picked up a bible for comfort certainly because that was all I knew (I would likely have turned to a koran or whatever if I had been taught that),

You've hit my point right there. I'm sure that people of other faiths have very similar stories, and would express the same conviction about their God being the "one true" god.

I guess, since this is a Christian theology forum (am I making a limiting assumption here?), I'd like to hear from those with more knowledge than me how the division in faiths is dealt with from a Biblical perspective. I don't recall verses discussing why some geographical locations have differing beliefs in other gods.

The mission of Christianity is to spread, and that has been very successful in some parts of the world and a complete failure in others. If Christianity is the ONE TRUE RELIGION, then why is it not universal?

because the people who spread it are FAR less than perfect. its hard to present an all loving God when we're horribly not-all-loving people...

it is THE one true religion, and if we represented our father I suppose the whole world would be christians

design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Tue May 20, 2008 7:33 am

rogermugs wrote:

it is THE one true religion, and if we represented our father I suppose the whole world would be christians

Well, I guess that answers the question of whether this is a Christian theology forum. I call myself agnostic (being raised Christian) and find ALL theology very interesting. I would never say "there is no God"...I think atheist are arrogant to think they know what is unknowable.

What I do think about a Creator, if there is one, is that He (or She) presents different paths to find Him. All forms of religion have beneficial aspects to them.

For me this is why my original question is important. If [insert your religion here] is the only path to [heaven], [nirvana], [27 virgins], [reincarnation], etc., etc., why do you get set in your beliefs simply by virtue of your birthplace?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Tue May 20, 2008 9:04 am

definitely a compelling question to a lot of people...
how about this one.

if there is an all loving God, how come weather you have enough to eat or not is so determined by birthplace? I was born in a third world country I would likely have died at birth there were enough complications. What was needed at the time was a fantastic doctor. They had one. I lived.

doesn't that seem just as out of wack or unfair as the religion you choose based on where you are?

edit: this is supposed to read IF i was born in a third world country... (i was born in good ol' america... sorry)

Last edited by rogermugs on Tue May 20, 2008 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Tue May 20, 2008 10:36 am

rogermugs wrote:
doesn't that seem just as out of wack or unfair as the religion you choose based on where you are?

Ouch! Yes, right! This is why I became disillusioned with Christianity (and, really, all faiths)...the randomness of life. It is out of whack.

My view is that if the Creator exists, It doesn't meddle with everyday life. And I certainly don't believe It is sending small children buried under rubble in China to a bad eternity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Tue May 20, 2008 3:42 pm

New member here.

I've been poking around seeing how this place is. I wanted to post on the Hell thread so I needed to bite the bullet and register.

For me, the answer is easy. I did not want to go to hell, I was not brought up in a Christian family. Catholic yes but not Christian. We typically went to church on Easter and Christmas.

I always felt that as a catholic I was going to go to heaven but then I started to question why I should go. I looked at my life and it was far from deserving, i.e., living a life of sin. I also read the book "The Late Great Planet Earth" which detailed God's end time plans and what will happen after the that, i.e., great white throne where the quick and the dead are judged.

I realized then that being good, or my definition of good was not going to cut it, we all think we're good. Even Adolf Hitler thought he was good as he tried to exterminate the Jews. No, we cannot measure ourselves by each other (I'm better then my neighbor who does drugs) but rather we need to compare ourselves with God's definition and that means nobody measures up because we've all fallen short. I started to read the Bible and realized that the only way to avoid hell damnation and get into heaven was to accept Jesus as my savior.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Tue May 20, 2008 4:06 pm

maflynn wrote:
I started to read the Bible and realized that the only way to avoid hell damnation and get into heaven was to accept Jesus as my savior.

you make it sound like it was a chore to accept him as your savior. but the more your life becomes about Christ the more fulfilling it becomes. the more joy you experience and you finally begin to understand what life is about because you begin a relationship with your creator. Who better to know how to live than the one who created you?

being a christian isn't always easy. but that's just because life isn't always easy. knowing the Lord IS always easy, and typically its freaking awesome.

edit - p.s. thanks for biting the bullet... i hope the reg. process wasn't too painful.

maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Wed May 21, 2008 7:33 am

rogermugs wrote:
you make it sound like it was a chore to accept him as your savior.
It was not a chore and I left out much details but on the flip side, it is a difficult act for a sinful prideful person to acknowledge his failings and inabilities to work their way into heaven. I think the differences between you and I was that you were brought up in a Christian home and so you were instructed in the benefits/blessings of Christianity. I was not, I only saw that if I continued on the path that I would end up in Hell. Avoiding damnation was my primary motivation to accepting Jesus. - Do you think that is wrong?

Quote :

but the more your life becomes about Christ the more fulfilling it becomes. the more joy you experience and you finally begin to understand what life is about because you begin a relationship with your creator. Who better to know how to live than the one who created you?
I agree, but someone who doesn't know the Bible and does not have the Holy Spirit residing in them, i.e., non-chrisitan, does fully not grasp this, its only after the Spirit comes does the scales of our eyes falls off and we start understanding and growing in the knowledge of the Lord

Quote :

being a christian isn't always easy. but that's just because life isn't always easy. knowing the Lord IS always easy, and typically its freaking awesome.
You're right being a Christian isn't easy, especially in a world that has largely rejected God. There are still too many nations and places in the world where real persecution exists.

Quote :
edit - p.s. thanks for biting the bullet... i hope the reg. process wasn't too painful.
No harder then any other forum Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Wed May 28, 2008 6:01 pm

maflynn wrote:
I agree, but someone who doesn't know the Bible...

...There are still too many nations and places in the world where real persecution exists.

You are not snapping onto the question of this thread.

By what stroke of luck did you get to know the Bible, when other's around the world are taught about the Koran, or the Bhagavad Gita, or etc., etc.? Is it not because where you were born? And do you not think it possible that God is too big for one religion?

And as far as persecution, you have to remember historically it has certainly come from Christianity toward other beliefs in horrible, horrible ways. That excuses nothing, but it should be kept in mind. I think if Christianity did not try to convert others, other would not have any problem with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Wed May 28, 2008 6:24 pm

the reason we dont think our God is too big for one religion is that he tells us that Jesus is THE only way...

if the bible had room for other religions then christianity would too. it does not. ergo, if you're really a christian, you dont think there are room for other things...

absolutely i know jesus because of where I was born... the same way I can eat meat everyday if i want to because my family isn't poor. the advantage I have of knowing jesus, and where i was born affecting my knowing jesus does not make it any less true.

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Wed May 28, 2008 6:27 pm

the reason we dont think our God is too big for one religion is that he tells us that Jesus is THE only way...

if the bible had room for other religions then christianity would too. it does not. ergo, if you're really a christian, you dont think there are room for other things...

absolutely i know jesus because of where I was born... the same way I can eat meat everyday if i want to because my family isn't poor. the advantage I have of knowing jesus, and where i was born affecting my knowing jesus does not make it any less true.

let me put it this way... you're a mac user because you live in america and you can afford a mac.

there are people out there using windows XP crap boxes..... in fact, in a lot of countries they dont sell macs and people have to use XP if they want a computer. does that make them wrong? YES! macs are the preverbal way, the truth and the light. but if no-one can experience computing bliss through anything but a mac, what do you do about it? feel bad about where you were born and the fact that you're blessed enough to own one? tell others about them? what?

design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Wed May 28, 2008 6:27 pm

So randomness is part of the plan?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Wed May 28, 2008 7:43 pm

design219 wrote:

where did you get randomness from that?

design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Wed May 28, 2008 10:16 pm

rogermugs wrote:
design219 wrote:

Well, was it in the plan for you to be born into a situation that led you to Christianity? Was it in the plan that Ghandi be led to a different religion? It sure sounds random to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Thu May 29, 2008 7:49 am

Some people believe that, I don't. This could get convoluted really quickly though, and I don't think I'm capable of explaining the different ideas. It's a topic I intentionally avoid, but I'd be interested to read someone's reply if they can handle it.

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Thu May 29, 2008 1:01 pm

design219 wrote:
rogermugs wrote:
design219 wrote:

Well, was it in the plan for you to be born into a situation that led you to Christianity? Was it in the plan that Ghandi be led to a different religion? It sure sounds random to me.

it sure sounds like a plan to me...
but... i take nathan's view on this.. it can become convoluted pretty quick...

design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Thu May 29, 2008 11:08 pm

This is starting to sound like predestination. Fate. Luck (or un-luck) of the draw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Thu May 29, 2008 11:21 pm

design219 wrote:
This is starting to sound like predestination. Fate. Luck (or un-luck) of the draw.

i definitely think the Lord has his hand in all of these things. i think predestination is sort of a human way to understand an infinite principle....

design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   Fri May 30, 2008 11:10 am

rogermugs wrote:
i think predestination is sort of a human way to understand an infinite principle....

Maybe, but it still comes to this: most of the world doesn't have a choice about becoming a Christian, or not.

The human way of understanding is all that matters to humans. If not, what's the point?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason   

Back to top Go down

Why are you a Christian? The REAL, FUNDAMENTAL reason
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1