HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Thu May 15, 2008 10:43 pm

I'm admittedly pleased at how much this forum has already gone. thanks to ya'll who have come in early and helped get it started... i do enjoy even the few things we've discussed and the community it has helped to create. special thanks to nathan for helping with the admin side...

That said... with 13 members our audience is strikingly limited and this would be a lot more fun when we get in the 40's range and above...

anyone have any great ideas on how to promote? the 13 people we have are regular and thats great... maybe some sort of theology meme... but i have no ideas...

help me out. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Fri May 16, 2008 8:07 am

I think it is going at a pretty normal rate. One way to promote it for now is to have it linked in people's blog posts. I really think we should wait until there is more content before doing anything more than that. Wait and see what sort of things the forum coalesces around first. I bet it takes most of the summer to figure out where we are all headed with this thing.
cyclops

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Fri May 16, 2008 10:27 am

Nathan wrote:
I think it is going at a pretty normal rate. One way to promote it for now is to have it linked in people's blog posts. I really think we should wait until there is more content before doing anything more than that. Wait and see what sort of things the forum coalesces around first. I bet it takes most of the summer to figure out where we are all headed with this thing.
cyclops

okay, well, since your the resident phpbb expert i suppose i'll just trust that... having content before going big is always a good call.

we'll see if anyone has any rocket-science ideas or i 'll just sit on my hands and watch...
Back to top Go down
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Wed May 28, 2008 10:20 pm

Just a thought, but I think you should make the link on "theologer.com" to the forum more prominent. It was more obvious in an earlier design, now it is buried a bit more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Thu May 29, 2008 7:45 am

How do other forums gain traction?

A number of forums that I frequent were not the initial focus but rather an adjunct to a news/technology website. This is strictly an independent forum and so I think we all need to work harder at getting the word out. Evangelize!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Thu May 29, 2008 1:04 pm

design219 wrote:
Just a thought, but I think you should make the link on "theologer.com" to the forum more prominent. It was more obvious in an earlier design, now it is buried a bit more.

really? its right in the middle of the page... hmm... maybe i could figure something out... i'm slow tho..
where would be better? BIGGER link?
my problem is my affinity for text, so i dont want a picture... hmm....

maflynn wrote:
I think we all need to work harder at getting the word out. Evangelize!!!
i'm all about that... the question all along has been how.

we need all those folks with blogs to put something in their sidebar.. .we got tons of traffic when they blogged about it, but once those posts were a few days old it waned..

but thats just my suggestion... anyone have an in with a TV station>?

Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Thu May 29, 2008 4:18 pm

If you make a little button that is not hideous I would add it to my blog. Key is not hideous, and keep in mind I have a lovely floral green background, and I don't want it to clash too bad. Black & white maybe?

design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Fri May 30, 2008 6:12 pm

rogermugs wrote:
really? its right in the middle of the page... hmm...

Haha. Yeah, right in the middle. Of all the text. In the middle...of ALL THE TEXT.

Aw, just giving you a hard time Roger. The site is clean, and I understand the appreciation of text, but to me, and this is just me, it is hard to find a focus point. Two equal size columns on the left and I guess the main content on the right, well, I just tend to look at your avatar an not want to scan all the text. Images make a lot of text less intimidating. I think a few of your entries could be enhanced with some imagery (like this.)

I can remember your main url easily, and just go there to access the forum. The 1.25 seconds of my life lost to zeroing in on the link is 1.25 seconds I could be wasting looking at stupid Youtube videos. Very Happy

Don't take as critical, just giving you the 2 you asked for. I appreciate what you've done and am enjoying your forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Fri May 30, 2008 10:00 pm

design219 wrote:
rogermugs wrote:
really? its right in the middle of the page... hmm...

Haha. Yeah, right in the middle. Of all the text. In the middle...of ALL THE TEXT.

Aw, just giving you a hard time Roger. The site is clean, and I understand the appreciation of text, but to me, and this is just me, it is hard to find a focus point. Two equal size columns on the left and I guess the main content on the right, well, I just tend to look at your avatar an not want to scan all the text. Images make a lot of text less intimidating. I think a few of your entries could be enhanced with some imagery (like this.)

I can remember your main url easily, and just go there to access the forum. The 1.25 seconds of my life lost to zeroing in on the link is 1.25 seconds I could be wasting looking at stupid Youtube videos. Very Happy

Don't take as critical, just giving you the 2 you asked for. I appreciate what you've done and am enjoying your forum.

yea i should get on a little button... maybe i will..

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Fri May 30, 2008 10:41 pm

okay nathan, here's the button:

available here:
http://rogermugs.googlepages.com/THEOforumsbtn.png

black in white as per your request...

feel free to promote and/or change this button as you'd like.

Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Sat May 31, 2008 12:26 am

button added. let me know how much traffic it's sending here.

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:45 am

okay... here's the details nathan..
this is EVERY site listed that's giving us traffic...
notice the numbers are not overwhelming.

we're losing daily traffic by about 2 unique hits/day and average around 25 or so unique visitors... (many more page views)

hmm... thinking of other places we could get the word out.

elshaddai
Word Weaver

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-05-10

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:38 pm

I don't see any outgoing clicks in my blog stats, so I'm pretty sure that I'm responsible for the 18 hits from heissufficient.net (my clicks aren't included in blog stats)...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://heissufficient.net
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:06 pm

I'll throw the link on my blog, do I need to do anything different or just put in the links side bar as a typical url?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:48 pm

elshaddai wrote:
I don't see any outgoing clicks in my blog stats, so I'm pretty sure that I'm responsible for the 18 hits from heissufficient.net (my clicks aren't included in blog stats)...

dont say things like elshaddai, we like to think we're getting good quality hits... but whatev... (i suppose you should count as quality too)

and maflynn...
no just throwing it in your sidebar should work fine.

design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:45 am

Thanks Roger for putting the button back to the left. My saved milliseconds are adding up now!

But just curious, why did you lose what little color you had?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:10 am

design219 wrote:
Thanks Roger for putting the button back to the left. My saved milliseconds are adding up now!

But just curious, why did you lose what little color you had?

i'm becoming obsessive towards simplicity... i liked the color before but then started to think... it would be even more simple if i took away color...
although now the greyscale is beginning to get to me... as well as the varied fonts...

somebody hold me back.....

Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:45 am

I like the "theologer" logo better in orange. Make it all gray scale except the name, that's what I say. Not that you listen to anything I say.

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:00 pm

Nathan wrote:
I like the "theologer" logo better in orange. Make it all gray scale except the name, that's what I say. Not that you listen to anything I say.

now now nathan, that criticism is harsh given that we are only running version 2 because of you...
but maybe i'll look at changing the header and see what i think... but i think it unlikely....

Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:52 am

You can put it on version three, I don't care. This feels more like home though, lol.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...   

Back to top Go down

okay guys good start, what do we do to make this better...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1