HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Thu May 15, 2008 10:32 pm

whats your take? unnecessarily takes the focus off of man as God's special creation, or denying aliens limits God's creative power (as the vatican says.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Sun May 18, 2008 5:12 pm

I think God is completely capable of multi-tasking. To think that mankind is a "special creation" seem arrogant to the extreme. It is not necessary for Him to explain everything to us, so we should be open to any possibility.

Personally, I hope there are aliens. I don't think we will ever find them (or they find us) because of the physical limitations of the universe, but it's fun to speculate.

If we ever were to meet aliens, it would be interesting to learn about their faith systems for interacting with Him. Don't you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Mon May 19, 2008 12:24 pm

i dont know... the bible seems pretty clear to me that we are special creation and a certain focus of the Lord. I suppose I wouldn't be altogether surprised if there was alien life... but I would be surprised if it was at all advanced... (like beyond bacteria)...

but thats just my opinion.

i dont think it limits the lord at all... the creation is still infinite... and the universe beyond comprehension (still growing they say) but... who knows.
Back to top Go down
brassplayersrockjr
Postulant

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Mon May 19, 2008 2:15 pm

My thinking is that if it's just us in the universe, that it would be a waste of space.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Mon May 19, 2008 8:33 pm

brassplayersrockjr wrote:
My thinking is that if it's just us in the universe, that it would be a waste of space.
couldn't he always just make more space? Doesn't thinking that limit gods power?
Back to top Go down
design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Mon May 19, 2008 10:16 pm

rogermugs wrote:
brassplayersrockjr wrote:
couldn't he always just make more space? Doesn't thinking that limit gods power?

That would be a bigger waste of space. I agree with brass, if a Creator made everything, and the universe is as large as it appears, I think He has stuff going on in other parts of it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Mon May 19, 2008 10:48 pm

maybe... maybe... and I can see your argument (while I disagree with it)

BUT... dont you also agree that a waste of space is an awefully weak argument for there being aliens at all?
Back to top Go down
brassplayersrockjr
Postulant

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Tue May 20, 2008 2:09 am

we could always argue that everything just happened on its own. no divine force involved until humans needed a way to control other humans with the idea of an all mighty. sure all cultures I've heard of/studied about have some type of belief system. true that it's reassuring to think there might be a a creator. Forget all that though. Many many evolutions until we became us. why couldn't that happen on another planet? might or might not be as evolved as us, but it still happened else where.

but then again you can argue, "hey what about all those sightings?"
Aliens and the existence of an All mighty is one in the same. we want to believe, we just don't have physical proof of either. Not bringing the bible or any holy book in as proof. they were all written by humans.

sorry for rambling, kinda tired.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Tue May 20, 2008 7:10 pm

them's some funny arguments brass player...

we do think it was written by humans... but we also think the bible is divinely inspired and would not have been written without a God...

but again.. you're proof is an interesting argument. I find the whole world (the complexity in a blade of grass, the miracle of a new child etc...) to be pretty solid proof for a God. I find it pretty hard to believe it happened by any sort of accident.

and those sightings? well... there definitely are UFO's and flying saucers, I just think they're advertising ploys for coca-cola... or perhaps toaster strudel (see the obama thread)
Back to top Go down
brassplayersrockjr
Postulant

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Tue May 20, 2008 7:17 pm

heh, someone has watched signs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
design219
Monk

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Tue May 20, 2008 10:28 pm

I think aliens walk among us.

And they don't capitalize the first letter of the first word of their sentences.

Be on the watch for these impostors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebuddy
Postulant

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-05-21

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   Thu May 22, 2008 7:03 am

design219 wrote:
I think God is completely capable of multi-tasking. To think that mankind is a "special creation" seem arrogant to the extreme. It is not necessary for Him to explain everything to us, so we should be open to any possibility.
Is it arrogant that on earth we are clearly separate from the animal kingdom in self-awareness and ability? We were created in God's image, it is not for us to be arrogant, but humble and good stewards of our superior attribute. *please, before we begin comparing humans to animals understand that we are communicating cross-country (perhaps even cross-globally) with one another via computational prowess.

Quote :
Personally, I hope there are aliens. I don't think we will ever find them (or they find us) because of the physical limitations of the universe, but it's fun to speculate.

There are statements in the Bible to allude to our leadership at the right hand of the Father. It is interesting to speculate that this life is a refining-fire for future leadership. Maybe other planets?

Quote :
If we ever were to meet aliens, it would be interesting to learn about their faith systems for interacting with Him. Don't you think?
I agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens   

Back to top Go down

the vatican says there's a good chance for aliens
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1