HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

Internet Monk

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Internet Monk   Sun May 11, 2008 7:21 pm

[update=links are dead, see my post at the bottom of the page]

I regularly read over at internetmonk.com; it's a blog by Michael Spencer. Well he's recently revealed some very important personal information and I'd like to know what everyone reading here thinks about the whole situation.

Read the details first
Then read the comments on his blog

Then come back here and let's talk about this. It has been dominating my thoughts today and I think this is an excellent first topic to get this forum rolling. (note that it will take you a while to read it all)

Nate

Last edited by Nathan on Tue May 13, 2008 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick Norelli
Immoderator

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Mon May 12, 2008 1:27 am

God knows that I'm not the biggest fan of Roman Catholicism, but his wife is still Christian, still believes in the same God as he does, and they should have no problem with fellowship in the home. So what if they go to two different churches on Sunday? If it's that big of a problem and she isn't going to change, then he always can.

More disturbing than his situation was the commentator who shared the testimony about his wife having an IUD implanted and getting pregnant anyway, only to have the doctor and their Pentecostal pastor tell them to abort the baby!!!

N.B. I did not read all of the post (the repetative whining got on my nerves), nor all of the comments (too much repetition there as well).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdtwot.wordpress.com
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Mon May 12, 2008 1:35 am

Yeah the post and subsequent comments have dominated my thoughts today. I'll wait to see what some others think as I'm still digesting it all.

rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Mon May 12, 2008 12:01 pm

alright well I have not yet read the comments. the morning has been a little crazy for me for a variety of reasons.

but before I read the comments I wanted to share what my wife and I discussed about this story last night.

my wife:
First her reaction was similar to nick's she thought this dude is totally overreacting.
then after thinking about it a bit she came to the conclusion this woman is obviously sinning. her reasons being how it has affected their marriage and her unwillingness to submit at all to her husband.

my thoughts...

I have processed this quite a bit. My first thought was just sheer shock at the wife having this sort of epiphany... but then thinking how on earth would I be able to process it if my wife went through somethings similar. First i dont think a minor denominational affiliation change would bother me much (we come from different backgrounds and disagree on some topics that just aren't essential enough to bother either of us). but if my wife started praying to mary i think that would freak me out good.

next I'm horrified at this catholic church that they allowed her to stop worshipping alongside her husband that they saw no problem with that. ANY christian denomination should be more concerned with the wellbeing/unity of a family than they are with a convert to their specific dogmas. Any pastor should have sat down with her and said "if this is really from the Lord pray about it until your husband can be aligned with you, but stay by his side until that happens and be willing to worship in a house of prayer where you may not agree with everything as long as you are submitting to your husband's spiritual authority."

I'm not inherently opposed to the Roman Catholic Church. There are people who are RCC who really are in love with the Lord. There always have been. That said, i do think its harder to sort through the truth in a place with so many confused ideas (papal authority etc).

next i'm thinking, how much this feels like a power play on her part. She has basically castrated her husband, taken away his hope and is walking around the house in sheer joy at her conversion. This seems like she needed something to lord over her husband and found this. The beauty of the religious thing is she can say she heard directly from God about this (and maybe she genuinely thinks she did), but in my opinion it has come from the enemy, not because she went RCC but because she divided her family.

Following the Lord is above all. But if you destroy your relationship in the process and make your husband lose all hope and confidence in what he believes and in the God he loves then that outta be a BIG check that maybe you need to rethink this or pray about it longer.

okay these are just my initial thoughts... i'll be reading the comments and getting back to this thread to add more. the husband is playing out in humility (granted we're hearing his side of the story), but I can tell you all of at least one time where I "thought" i was hearing from the Lord and it destroyed a relationship and another time where i "thought" i was hearing from the Lord and I almost didn't marry the woman i'm now married to (and convinced beyond a doubt that she is the right one for me).

there are checks for when we hear from the Lord. doing this to your husband, is one of them. I fear there is more sin behind it on her behalf and it will come back to bite the husband even harder. I am shocked at the RCC pastor who is allowing her to do this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
Nick Norelli
Immoderator

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Mon May 12, 2008 3:02 pm

Out of curiosity, why is the wife sinning and not the husband? He didn't say that God told him to stay with the SBC (or even to stop attending church regularly). Yet the wife does claim to have heard from God. If the husband is so concerned with maintaining fellowship then he can go to the RCC. If anything, I'd think that if we had to attribute sin to one of them, it should be attributed to the husband for his selfishness.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Mon May 12, 2008 3:55 pm

I am pretty much in total agreement with Roger. I was shocked that the RCC leader would permit the split in her home, and that the wife would split her own family. Here's my wife's take:

When the woman felt that God was speaking this to her, and her husband was not in agreement, she should have prayed about it. If God really was in this change, he will speak to the husband about it. Finally, she should remain faithful and in submission to her husband, even if he doesn't come to her position until the day she dies.

Nick,
I completely disagree. The wife's selfishness and going out on her own is the sin. He cannot in good conscience attend a RCC church any more than I could. As Roger has pointed out, the whole "God told me X, Y, Z" has been abused for who knows how long. As I mentioned earlier, if God really spoke to her, she needs to be patient and wait for him to speak to her husband as well. Her selfish decision to make the choices she has is completely wrong, as evidenced by the status of their relationship.

tc
Immoderator

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Mon May 12, 2008 5:29 pm

Nathan wrote:
I regularly read over at internetmonk.com; it's a blog by Michael Spencer. Well he's recently revealed some very important personal information and I'd like to know what everyone reading here thinks about the whole situation.

Read the details first
Then read the comments on his blog

Then come back here and let's talk about this. It has been dominating my thoughts today and I think this is an excellent first topic to get this forum rolling. (note that it will take you a while to read it all)

Nate

Nathan, I agree that this piece is quite personal. My theological positions would not allow me to be a RC.

I pray for that family. It's quite challenging, I say.

Here's my question: Should the husband be the spiritual leader in a case like that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://newleaven.com
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Mon May 12, 2008 5:31 pm

due to ridiculous life.
i still have not gotten to the comments yet as I intend...
however

in response to nick.
I dont see anything inherently sinful in anything the wife did (going to the rcc, feeling the need for a change, or even "hearing from the Lord") but i do see sin in the willful disruption of her family instead of willful submission to her husbands authority and a lack of willingness to postpone the change until he too should have a change of heart (if indeed it was from the lord)
Back to top Go down
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Mon May 12, 2008 6:52 pm

okay I just got around to reading the comments and actually my view has changed slightly.

the more comments you read the more mild the whole situation was, or rather the more it seems the wife was willing to compromise. She didn't leave her husband's church to go be a RCC, she continued to attend with him at the southern baptist deal until he decided to stop attending church.

that said, first I am still shocked that the RCC didn't press for her to make the change slower than she did and ask for the Lord to align their hearts.

secondly i still think its pretty unusual for the Lord to tell people outright things like "go be RCC not SBC." it may happen, but I remain skeptical. His wife being extremely devout doesn't put that fear to rest at all, in my experience it is often the most devout people who think they hear the Lord the most clearly and the most specifically. often it is they (us) who over-religious-ize things like that.

finally, I'm back to thinking more along the lines that the dude is maybe making a bigger deal of this than he needs to. His wife still seems supportive of him and in my opinion he needs to go back to church and start taking her with him. he is the one who chose for them to no longer be worshipping together, not her.

he needs to continue on his knees if he thinks what she's doing is wrong for the lord to align her heart in the same way she needs to.

my wife comes from a dispensational background. i do not. her church brings almost every sermon back to dispensationalism rather than to the gospel. This drives me absolutely nutty. BUT. the church is so in love with the Lord, and the people care for us in a way I've NEVER seen a church do that I can disagree with some of what they believe, some of what they teach, and even how they teach it but still be blessed by them.

there is a piece of RCC out there who truly loves the Lord, maybe this dudes wife is one of them. I think the praying to mary thing is weird if not downright idolotry.

BUT the longer i'm around the less dogmatic i am about such things. the issue seems less complicated than I thought, and as usual it looks like it took two to tango and neither party is doing fully what they should, or or fully responsible for the trouble.

that dude needs to pack up his bible, go back to the SBC sunday service and say "hey i dont agree with all that my wife is doing but I support my wife 100% to be following the Lord the way she feels led. I'm helping her understand why and what I disagree with, but the rest is between her and the Lord. Here is where i'm comfortable and here is my lovely wife standing beside me willing to love me and continue attending my church."

he also needs to set a good example for the students he is ministering to by continuing to church-go. a student ministry is a funny sense of a church, there are no old or children.

anyhoo... just my updated thoughts... that was long. sorry.
Back to top Go down
Nick Norelli
Immoderator

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Mon May 12, 2008 10:49 pm

Is it better to obey God or man? That is the question. If God told this lady to go back to Mother Rome, then she better do it! She's not breaking up her marriage, her husband's handling of the matter is. He should rejoice that she's still a believer and didn't go atheist or Muslim on him.

Also, why would you guys expect the priest of whatever parish it is she is joining to tell her to hold off until her husband is on board? RCs believe that there isn't true union with Christ except through the Church. Why would they discourage her from true union with Christ?

I'm also curious as to why you think that if it is really God's will, then he would have dealt with the husband as well, or even, why do you assume that God hasn't dealt with the husband? Who says that the husband's heart was genuinely open to hearing what God had to say? There's all kinds of variables here.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Mon May 12, 2008 11:14 pm

My take is still my gut reaction, which I posted earlier:
Nathan wrote:
...the whole "God told me X, Y, Z" has been abused for who knows how long.
Anyone can claim, "God told me [fill in the blank]." I just don't buy it. The fruit of the Spirit does not lead to the division that is currently in their marriage. I'm not saying he did everything right, by his own admission he says he messed up. There is just no way I can condone her behavior in the slightest. To be honest, her becoming atheist or Muslim would probably be an easier situation IMHO.

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Tue May 13, 2008 2:43 pm

well nick... i have to say i really agree with what your saying... and even the questions your asking... i dont think its as black and white as i originally did.

but i also agree with nathan, and my gut tells me something funny is going on...

but these are people, not situations. situations have nice easy clean cut answers. people are messy and dont.
Back to top Go down
Peter Kirk
Postulant

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-05-10

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Tue May 13, 2008 3:47 pm

I was trying to catch up on this story, and found that both the links are now dead, in ways which probably mean that the story has been deliberately taken down. Anyone know why?

I am disturbed by your suggestion, Roger, that a husband's authority over his wife extends to dictating to her which church she should attend even when this goes against her conscience. In fact I would consider this spiritual abuse. Yes, it is best if the whole family can attend one church, but it is better that they agree to go to different places than for anyone's conscience to be violated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Tue May 13, 2008 5:34 pm

This is the original post which is now gone.
Quote :
Just after Good Friday, 2007, my wife Denise told me that God had told her to start going to the Roman Catholic church. At the time, we were worshiping with a group of Christians on campus called soli deo after being together in ministry in churches for more than 30 years.

I didnít react well to that announcement then, and I didnít react well for the last year.

Tomorrow, my wife Denise has her first class in the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults. Sometime in 2009, she will become a Roman Catholic.

This has been the most difficult challenge weíve ever faced as a couple, primarily because Iíve completely come unglued and off the rails for the last year. Only with the acceptance of her final decision have I moved beyond denial, bargaining and anger to a stage of acceptance.

A lot of people have been praying for us. Iíve employed a pastoral counselor for the first time in my life. Iíve gone through a faith evolution thatís been like the sinking of a continent.

Denise has found something wonderful in the RCC that she wants. Sheís convinced that God wants her to go to the RCC and that there is healing for her own struggles with depression in the RCC. I can see the results. I respect her journey and rejoice in the fruit thatís come from it.

I always thought we could appreciate the RCC together, visit a couple of times a year, have RC friends, go on retreats, read booksÖ.but draw the lines at the Marian dogmas, the exclusive Eucharist, purgatory, papal infallibility and so on.

I was wrong. Within the year, Denise and our family will share our last communion together in this life. Because of the church she has chosen to attend, we will rarely ever attend worship together again. We will no longer be together in any kind of worship setting except the occasional seasonal worship experience or required school event. Our shared Christian fellowship will be minimal. Weíve not had a conversation as two Christians talking about ďthe faithĒ in a very long time.

Denise has never been happier as a Christian. Clearly, the God she believes in has met and rewarded her.

Iíve had to face the end of some things.

Any possible ministry for me as a Southern Baptist pastor or staff member is over, except at a very moderate/liberal church. Any SBC ministry outside of Oneida is probably over. Perhaps God has another direction for me and this is his way of moving me where I wouldnít go otherwise. If so, then thank you Lord.

My terrible, angry response to these events reopened old and unhealed wounds. Iíve descended into the pit of my own sinfulness and the darkness of my adolescent journey into the ugliness of anti-Catholic fundamentalism. Iíve come to the wall, raged, raged, cried, cried, prayed, and wanted to die.

Nothing changed. There was no God who cared enough about this situation being different to offer another option- and we desperately sought to find one by preparing to leave OBI, getting other jobs, etc. God opened no doors and provided no compromises. Apparently, ďthy will be doneĒ included the spiritual division of our home.

The word to me was repentance, and I have started down that road with as much humility as I can find. I am not trying to ďmoveĒ Godís hand or get his attention. I am trying to hold my most precious relationship together.

Weíve honestly looked at the damage of the last year and previous years, reassessing our marriage and its future. Denise has drawn some lines that need to be drawn, for her good and ours. Iíve decided to give some things up. Weíre seeking peace and kindness as never before. Weíve forgiven and sought a new love for each other.

Right now, our marriage is going well because my anger is gone and Denise is going to the church she believes God has directed her to. Sheís made many new friends and is happier than Iíve seen her in years.

I now worship with the student worship gatherings that I lead here on campus twice each weekend, and I have no plans to regularly go to an evangelical church again unless called upon to help or serve. If Denise and I cannot go to church together, I am not going to go by myself. This is, to say the least, a horrendous and painful grief in my heart, but it is as it must be.

As weíve passed on to the acceptance of this new situation, our home is happy and we love one another. The rage and bitterness are leaving my emotional life, and I pray they never return.

Iíve given up believing in a God who cares about things like ďhead of the home,Ē ďspiritual unity,Ē denominational churches and the ďministry marriage.Ē It was my foray into certain theologies that made me believe one could be certain about these things and the God who cooked them up. I was a fool. Jesus is what I have. Jesus, and the God he incarnates. Nothing else and no one else.

I now realize that the God I believe in canít be manipulated to stop these kinds of things from happening. My many sins against my marriage and against my wife brought these events into our lives. God isnít stopping them and he isnít causing them. Heís not playing games with us.

Denise senses Godís leadership, and I am happy for her. I have no idea what God wants of me, and frankly, Iím tired of thinking about it. Iím tired of all the gnostic bull that has filled my head the last 30 years. Itís a wonder I can think at all after all the religious/spiritual nonsense Iíve sheepishly imbibed and passed on. God does whatever he pleases and Jesus pays my bills all the way to the resurrection. End of story. Whatever I need to know is in the Jesus file.

I donít believe in the God who takes cares of ministry marriages because they are special. I donít believe in the God Iíve been angry with for 30 years of ministry because nothing was going as it was supposed to go. I was angry at an idol of the mind. I donít believe in the God who would never let this happen because because because.

I believe in the God of Jesus. The Abba/Spirit God. The God of the Gospels. The God of the Lordís Prayer. The God of resurrection. The Father of the Prodigal. The God who said of Jesus ďListen to him.Ē The God of Job who was a redeemer who would one day stand on the earth and tell us all we could know about the mystery. The God who canít be seen except in the face, words and cross of Jesus. The God of the Gospel, not the God of guaranteed results.

Iíve abandoned the God who wants Denise and I to share a church and be together in church. In the hope that God would come through, I nearly destroyed my marriage and my sanity.

No more.

A lot of this is hard for my concept of Christian ministry to swallow. Denise says that she will never think any of the things Iím about to say, but this is how I see it and, to some extent, always will.

What Iíve preached for 30 years has been wrong.
What Iíve taught in all the classes weíve been in together has been rejected.
My call to the ministry is not a legitimate call. I have never served a true communion. Iíve taught untruths about the church and the faith my entire life, and continue to do so. Iím not part of the true church and my exclusion from communion with my wife is a judgement on my faith that finds me second class.
I am no longer my wifeís pastor.

Such thoughts, as errant and paranoid as they may be, are still painful for me, and Iíve done all I can to abandon them, but they have troubled me deeply. Pray for me.

All of my readers here at the BHT and at Internet Monk have watched me go through anger, agony and bitterness in many of my posts that have touched on Catholicism. This is why. Only now am I learning that kicking against what isnít there does nothing but exhaust me.

So my wife is Roman Catholic. (Almost) Sheís found a God, new spiritual friends, a home and the end of her wandering in the evangelical wilderness. (BTW, sheís told me that the doctrinal debates here at the BHT helped convince her to give the RCC a chance, so have a drink on me everyone.)

Iíve come to the end of a chapter in ministry, I have a happy wife, and Iíve lost my belief in a God who wasnít there anyway. I know where I will worship next week, and Iíll go to work on that to keep Jesus in the center. Out of all the churches in town, my room full of unbelievers and baby Christians from all over the world is probably where Jesus would be anyway.

My first passion is to know God through Jesus and that is all. My second passion is to be my wifeís husband, to love and to honor her, for the rest of our lives till we can commune again at the Lambís banquet.

I hope all of this helps readers understand some of whatís been happening in my writing and in my soul. Iím happy for where we are even as Iím sorry that we have to be there. I pray for humility, humility and contentment in the midst of humility. May God grant his peace and his unity to all who are, even now, united in Christ.
The other link was just comments about this post, they were interesting but this gives you the basic idea.

Peter Kirk
Postulant

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Tue May 13, 2008 7:20 pm

Thanks, Nathan, for reposting this. Now I understand a bit more of what this is all about.

It seems to me that the problem is that this man and his wife long ago abandoned any meaningful spiritual partnership. He trusted in "the God who takes cares of ministry marriages because they are special", but didn't put in his own work to keep his marriage special. In fact, if he was shocked and angry at her initial decision to explore the RCC, he wasn't even keeping proper channels of communication open with her.

But I am glad that now he has found a God who is real to him rather than the idolatrous caricature which he used to serve. Also he should understand that the gulf between him and his wife need not be anything like as wide as he imagines.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Tue May 13, 2008 8:33 pm

Yeah it seems quite the mess. I'm wondering why he took both posts down. He had already closed the comments. Maybe he was having to moderate a ton of comments.

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Tue May 13, 2008 9:08 pm

it did seem quite the personal story to be processing with the world
Back to top Go down
Nick Norelli
Immoderator

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Tue May 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Nathan wrote:
Anyone can claim, "God told me [fill in the blank]." I just don't buy it. The fruit of the Spirit does not lead to the division that is currently in their marriage. I'm not saying he did everything right, by his own admission he says he messed up. There is just no way I can condone her behavior in the slightest. To be honest, her becoming atheist or Muslim would probably be an easier situation IMHO.

I'm still wondering why you're automatically assuming that the wife is in the wrong and not the husband. God could have been speaking to him as well, with the result that he ignored Him. No matter how candid he was in his post, he obviously didn't give all the details.

And how do you see her leaving God for idols an easier situation to deal with than her staying with God but choosing a different tradition to worship in? I'm trying to wrap my head around that one. Can't seem to do it...
Back to top Go down
Peter Kirk
Postulant

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Wed May 14, 2008 4:10 am

Nathan wrote "her becoming atheist or Muslim".

Nick wrote "her leaving God for idols".

Nick, surely you realise that Muslims totally abhor idols, more so than the most anti-Catholic stained-glass-window-smashing Christians, and atheists don't worship them either?

But I agree with you in finding it difficult to see why the wife becoming a Catholic is being viewed as quite such a serious matter. I think you guys need to learn more about Catholics as well as about Muslims.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Wed May 14, 2008 5:14 pm

I don't have any problems with Catholics or Muslims, and I understand them well enough.

What I can't wrap my head around is why his wife is pushing the issue. I also don't believe in the concept of "spiritual abuse"... seriously?! She had no problems for 30 years and now she suddenly hears from God and converts to Catholicism? Something is wrong, and I don't think it's him. And if God was speaking to him and he hasn't heard it, she still needs to wait until he does. As my wife put it, "Even if she dies before that happens."

Peter Kirk
Postulant

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Wed May 14, 2008 6:04 pm

Nathan, if it was you whom God told to move to a different church and your wife wasn't happy with it, would you obey her rather than God? If not, on what basis do you expect a wife to obey her husband rather than God?
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Wed May 14, 2008 6:19 pm

1 Corinthians 11:3

It's pretty cut and dried and this whole discussion is a perfect case in point IMO.

For your example, applied to myself: If my wife was a pastor and had a ministry and I'd been supporting her for 30 years, then I probably wouldn't change churches until we were both in agreement. For the average lay couple, they should make decisions after coming to agreement. If there is none then whatever the husband decides. Not a popular sentiment in today's post-liberation societies, but that's my take.

Peter Kirk
Postulant

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Wed May 14, 2008 6:26 pm

Ah well, if we want to discuss 1 Corinthians 11:3 that is a whole different story which will need a different thread. But I don't really want to get into it in this forum. Suffice it to say that "head" does not mean "dictator", and the suggestion that is does is totally contradictory to the teaching of Jesus.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Wed May 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Well I didn't feel like looking up and quoting all of the submission verses, such as those in Eph. 5. I don't really feel like going into this topic either. If there is an impasse it seems the Bible provides pretty clear direction.

Peter Kirk
Postulant

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   Wed May 14, 2008 6:54 pm

Well, Nathan, I think we should just recognise that our very different attitudes to this situation derive from very different attitudes towards the roles of husband and wife in marriage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Internet Monk   

Back to top Go down

Internet Monk
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next