HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

The wishwashyness of postmodernism

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: The wishwashyness of postmodernism   Sun May 11, 2008 5:27 pm

remember back when there was right and wrong? true and untrue? Why is it that there are no absolutes in our postmodern time except the absolute of evolution and science?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologer.com
scott gray
Postulant

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-05-10

PostSubject: Re: The wishwashyness of postmodernism   Sun May 11, 2008 6:07 pm

rogermugs, you're a rascal.

what 'absolutes' about our christian paradigm strike you as 'absolute?' what 'truths' about our christian paradigm strike you as 'true?'

peace--

scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: The wishwashyness of postmodernism   Sun May 11, 2008 6:50 pm

scott gray wrote:
rogermugs, you're a rascal.

what 'absolutes' about our christian paradigm strike you as 'absolute?' what 'truths' about our christian paradigm strike you as 'true?'

peace--

scott

i dont want to argue absolutes like specifics like that, I'm just saying the christian paradigm makes room for there to be right and wrong even in how a poem is interpreted. We definitely see there being only one way to the Father (through Christ), rather than "all spiritual roads lead to nirvana" sort of weirdness...

I'm thinking "Literary Paternity"

which opens asking "Is a pen a metaphorical penis?"

things like taking postmodern ideas to the absurd outcome... I'm thinking of Veith's "Postmodern Times" and his suggestions to how we can understand the strengths and weaknesses of postmodernism as christians.

Just a start... i'm not sure if that answers your question, but its these two things I see as the opposite extremes of the postmodern weirdness/wishywashyness of our time
Back to top Go down
scott gray
Postulant

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-05-10

PostSubject: postmodern elephants   Sat May 17, 2008 11:11 am

hey roger—

you know the old tale about the seven blind men explaining their experience of ‘elephant,’ and no two explanations seem to have anything to do with each other? it seems that your postmodernism is not my postmodernism(!) and, of course, i’m very proud of myself for saying this, because this is a very postmodern thing to say.

i’m reading two books about post modernism, which i find resonate deeply with me:

‘what would jesus deconstruct’ by john d. caputo
‘faithful interpretation: reading the bible in the postmodern world’ by a.k.m.adam

when i talk about postmodernism, this is the part of the elephant i’m talking about.
as i read through them, with your permission and interest, i’ll expound(!) about the parts i really, really like. then you can tell me how the postmodern elephant feels totally different to you…

peace—

scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: The wishwashyness of postmodernism   Sat May 17, 2008 11:58 am

why would you need my permission.... but ooooo... please please please please please.
Back to top Go down
Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: The wishwashyness of postmodernism   Sat May 17, 2008 2:39 pm

I think that the catholic church needs to adjust it's approach to how we live life, evangelize, and otherwise conduct ourselves in our now postmodern society. I think a lot of the ideas in the emerging church movement have much merit in this regard, though I don't endorse the movement as a whole at this point. I don't think the details of postmodernism are as important as some think they are. Rather, how we live our lives and interact with those around us are influenced by these trends.

Don't let me squash any other discussion going on, just wanted to pitch in with my take. I can recommend the book I read if anyone is interested.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The wishwashyness of postmodernism   

Back to top Go down

The wishwashyness of postmodernism
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: General :: Lounge-
Jump to: