HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Link HereLink Here  RegisterRegister  Log in  SubscribeSubscribe  

Share | 

how did you develop your own theology?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rogermugs
theologer

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: how did you develop your own theology?   Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:13 am

or did you? do you know what you think about dispensationalism? covenant theology? kingdom theology?

how did you decide what you believe? just how you were raised or did you make a logical conclusion about what you thought was right?

View user profile http://www.theologer.com
chuckgrantham
Novice

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:29 am

I took a couple of systematic theologies and cut and pasted the bits I like. It's less systematic, but I like it. Razz

How many people can actually claim to have a "theology"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:08 pm

rogermugs wrote:
or did you? do you know what you think about dispensationalism? covenant theology? kingdom theology?

While I lean towards dispensationalism but I'm hesitant to say I embrace one over another. Rather I take what the Bible says. Personally I believe in dispensationalism because that how I believe God has shown himself to work. I've not really interested and had no desire to research others because I'm more interested in researching the Bible itself.

I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't set out to adopt a given theology, but my beliefs from reading the Bible seems to align with dispensationalism.

Does that make sense?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:00 pm

yes it does...
I'm excited about figuring out what i think about certain issues (i just found out i'll be required to take 5 systematic theology classes), but I'm also saddened to learn about all the different views on so many different things... they too often divide us and dont keep us focused on the just what the bible says... and the Lord...

we'll see...

Nathan
Xenophile

Number of posts : 147

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:23 am

I'm not really sure what my theology is to be honest. I was raised in several Assemblies of God churches, so I tend to approach things from that viewpoint originally. However, the more time goes by, and the more I learn... I definitely do not believe many of the things I was raised to believe. The things I tend to disagree on probably don't even account for 5% of the various theological positions, but it has been an interesting process.

rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Nathan wrote:
I'm not really sure what my theology is to be honest. I was raised in several Assemblies of God churches, so I tend to approach things from that viewpoint originally. However, the more time goes by, and the more I learn... I definitely do not believe many of the things I was raised to believe. The things I tend to disagree on probably don't even account for 5% of the various theological positions, but it has been an interesting process.

can i ask what specifically? mostly related to baptism of the holy spirit or what?

design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:15 pm

Aa one of the few (or only) agnostics on this board, I'll chime in here to make things interesting.

I was raised in a Christian church, attended every sunday, and learned all the basic Bible stories, rituals, etc. When I started to feel a bit of pressure to get baptized, I started really examining what I believed, and it just didn't make sense. In fact, the more I thought about it, the more bizarre it all seemed.

Well, I resisted the joining up. My parents didn't pressure me, as they saw it as a decision I had to make on my own... when I was ready. Well, I ended up going to a Baptist college, as my father was a professor there and I got a deep discounted rate. That experience really crystalized my lack of faith, as I saw just way too much hypocrisy. I think I actually plunged in to a period of pure atheism.

In the years after college, I started to re-think things. I'm no longer sure that there is not a God. I am, however, sure that Christianity, Islam, Judaism or any other faith does NOT has the exclusive path to God. I feel there is a common denominator to faiths that is lost in the struggle to assert the correctness of a believers individual "righteousness."

As far as what I believe about the Creator, I confess a complete and utter puzzlement as to what She wants from us. I don't think God meddles with the everyday affairs of humans, or even take an active interest. I don't hold out hope for an afterlife, but again, I think the universe and our state of being is so far beyond our comprehension, that I can't say there isn't.

I find theology a fascinating subject, but I'm sure my take will seem very peculiar, if not down right abhorrent, to many.

*prepares to duck for cover*

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:54 pm

rogermugs wrote:
can i ask what specifically? mostly related to baptism of the holy spirit or what?
Well, it's not baptism in the holy spirit, which I also still believe in. I just don't agree with their stance that it is the initial evidence of being filled with the spirit. I don't remember the exact terminology, and I think I've got it wrong, but I don't agree. Also, their stance on alcohol is totally wrong, similar to the baptist church where I attend right now. The other big one is the whole concept of salvation. I was raised with an arminian perspective but in the last month I've been investigating things a bit further and I'm open to other ideas. I actually went as far as to check out a bunch of books from the library. They were so boring though that I couldn't read them, I just hate reading about theology... Anyways, at some point I hope to really understand the issue better and take a stance. Perhaps it's not that important though.

Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:57 pm

design219 wrote:
As far as what I believe about the Creator, I confess a complete and utter puzzlement as to what She wants from us. I don't think God meddles with the everyday affairs of humans, or even take an active interest. I don't hold out hope for an afterlife, but again, I think the universe and our state of being is so far beyond our comprehension, that I can't say there isn't.

I'm curious why you choose to assign a feminine gender to a Creator? Is it a reaction to an established God of a masculine gender, or perhaps a specific reason that I'm not familiar with?

maflynn
Hieromonk

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2008-05-20

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:13 am

Nathan wrote:
I actually went as far as to check out a bunch of books from the library. They were so boring though that I couldn't read them, I just hate reading about theology... Anyways, at some point I hope to really understand the issue better and take a stance. Perhaps it's not that important though.
I think we human beings make things waaaay to complicated. For me, It really doesn't matter what theology I or others have, provided they believe in the sacrifice (death/ burial / resurrection) of Jesus Christ to pay for our sins. Our marching orders from God was to make disciples, equip the saints and worship the one true God.

I don't want to sound like I'm ranting because I'm not, my point is, having these conversations is fruitful, and interesting to learn the theologies that we Christian's believe but its also sad as Roger touched on it earlier. I could go on and on , but then it would be a rant
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theologynow.net
design219
Monk

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-05-18

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:48 am

Nathan wrote:
I'm curious why you choose to assign a feminine gender to a Creator? Is it a reaction to an established God of a masculine gender, or perhaps a specific reason that I'm not familiar with?

I guess I think of God more as a Mother Nature entity than a Holy Father figure. Females give birth... although it takes both sexes... if there had to be one sex assigned I'd have to say female, although that seems to be too limiting for a Supreme Being.

Our vocabulary is just too limited here. It seems rude and disrespectful to refer to God as "It".

scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nathan
Xenophile

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. I had expected as much, but didn't want to jump to conclusions. "It" certainly doesn't seem appropriate, though I'm not sure I'd want to add any further complications to our language's grammar. Cool

elshaddai
Word Weaver

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-05-10

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:47 am

I grew up in a community church that was part of the whole Church of Christ umbrella, so subconsciously I probably have a lot of Restorationist thought behind me, including a healthy skepticism of the denominational establishments.

I also have a contrarian personality, so a lot of what you might label as "my theology" is actually searching out alternatives to mainstream mob theology. Not that I necessarily reject traditional thought, I just want to know something different.

I don't like the fracturing nature of "-isms", but accept them as labels for different ways of thinking about the same thing: our hope and faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://heissufficient.net
longhornak
Postulant

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:35 pm

Fractured seems to be an understatement. Sometimes I wonder if the arguments out there about specific points of doctrine take more of our time and energy than trying to follow those lessons that are taught to us in the scriptures.

I do believe that Jesus is the Messiah, and the savior of the world. Without him, we are all toast.

Of course, my theology is probably quite a bit different than anyone here. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:59 am

longhornak wrote:
Fractured seems to be an understatement. Sometimes I wonder if the arguments out there about specific points of doctrine take more of our time and energy than trying to follow those lessons that are taught to us in the scriptures.

not sometimes... almost ALWAYS.

i really feel called to make some sense out of the unity we fail to grow naturally... but people are so opposed to flexing on some issues...

a guy at RTS once joked about an armenian saying "why should I even talk to him? what does darkness have to do with light?"

he was joking... but he was also serious... he wouldn't give an armenian the time of day....

chuckgrantham
Novice

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:07 pm

I'm that way about Lithuanians myself.

Tee hee.

Arminian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rogermugs
theologer

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:25 am

does anyone actually like Lithuanians ?
how did you develop that peopledislikeology?
antilithuanianism is a serious problem in the south... also among baptists in general

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how did you develop your own theology?   

Back to top Go down

how did you develop your own theology?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1